Friday, February 16, 2007

Jaw Surgery Necessities

I know that there are a few fellow ortho folks that are out there that are getting ready to go threw this whole ordeal. I have though of some things that will make recovery more bearable. So here goes:

Food
Ice Cream
Yogurt
Soup
(homemade chicken noodle is great)
fruit & veggies (
or a pre-made fruit and vegetable replacement--GNC has a product called Maximum Greens Complete)
Ensure or similar product
Protein Supplements
(used for making shakes)

Helpful Items
Bullet Blender-
the blender can be ordered online, it is a super efficient blender that makes single servings. The blender comes with six separate cups so you can make several items at the same time. With this produce there is really no food you can't eat. I had pizza and enchiladas!
Syringe- works great for getting food in between the small opening in your teeth that you can manage the first week post-op. This is a HUGE HELP!
Catheter- My first three days I wasn't able to feed myself. My mom used a catheter to put in the back of my mouth so I could get food in my system. This works extremely well! ( a feeding tube will also work, this can be prescribed by a physician)
A Support System- It is very important to have people around you that care and love you. It is very discouraging to deal with the emotions of not being able to take care of yourself at first. With double jaw surgery you need to be prepared that you will not be self sufficient. I honestly should have a bib on when I eat. I am so numb that I am unable to detect the food that is running down my face and shirt.

Thanks to everyone that sent flowers, goodies, and warm wishes! This has been a real help when recovery gets me down. Hopefully I will be able to start posting daily w/ updates. I still have at least a week off of work...so I am hoping each day brings more recovery! Thanks again to everyone that has been cheering me on. It really helps a lot!

2 comments:

Brandyleigh35 said...

Jenn,
I posted below too, but something you may want to look into are the zip and squeeze bags. They are basically bags that have little "feeding tubes" attached to them. You fill them, put the tube in your mouth, squeeze, and swallow. Many people have reported that they are an invaluable surgery neccesity.

You might want to get some since you are still using a syringe.
here is the website:
http://www.zip-n-squeeze.com/zns.html

Brandy

JenNicole said...

Brandy,
I have to admit I was super nieve going in to this last surgery. My OS told me it would be twice the swelling and twice the recovery time, and the pain would be considerably more if not twice. But I guess I didn't really remember how hard the first week is. I am glad it is over...and can't wait to see what this next week reveals!

Thanks for all the support and well wishes everyone! It helps so much to know that I have people out there pushing for me, not to mention all the great advice!