Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Oh Happy Day Now!

Well life is going great for my recovery. I saw my OD today and he seemed ecstatic about my surgery!! That was great news. I got my appointment time a bit confused, so I ended up being an hour late. So...due to my discrepancy I get to keep the surgical hooks on another two weeks. :( I will survive I'm sure.
My swelling is going down considerably, however the numb feeling isn't going anywhere. So I still have that weird "my upper lip doesn't move when I talk" look.
My only complaint is sleep. I can't sleep for anything. I toss and turn all night. I am taking the meds my doc gave me for sleeping, but it doesn't help at all. I'm thinking b/c my activity level has decreased so much, that maybe I just don't require as much sleep?? But then again, my body has to be working overtime to try to get my mouth back in working order. Any advice on getting some shut-eye would be great!!
Well here are some photos to show my progress and healing. Now let's just hope for a little feeling to start coming back!






2 comments:

Brandyleigh35 said...

Wow Jenn,
YOu are looking terrific! Glad to hear things are getting better. I'm sure the feeling part will take awhile, I mean a lot has been done to your bones and it takes awhile for all the bones, blood supply, and nerves to regroup.

You stitches look great too! Do you know how far the doctors advanced you? I know you had a Lefort 1 but what were your distances? Maxilla moved how many mm? and the mandible??

Keep up the incredible healing! I'm sure having youth on your side is definitely an advantage for you.

I was going to say that maybe you can't sleep because your body is addicted to endorphins. I know when I was working out a lot and then just stopped for awhile I had a hard time sleeping as my body was used to getting its chemical "fix" each day. Plus I would imagine that your body is still working out the after affects of the anethesia which could be causing problems also. Maybe trying to take some short walks, or get a bit more exercise. This might increase your cortisol levels and help you to sleep a bit easier. I can tell you that when I was younger and had knee surgery the doctor gave me valium to get me to sleep and it never worked either.

I hope that gets better soon, and I look forward to hearing about your advancement distances. Thanks!

Brandy

JenNicole said...

I will see my OS today. I will get all the measurements. I have been curious about that also.
Thanks for the sleeping info. I thought the lack of excercise had something to do with it, but def didn't know there was that much involved!