Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Surgery Day


Surgery Day--Checking In


Bite--and chin angle before


Profile

Surgery day for me went fairly smooth. There was one patient before me, so I didn't have to wake up quite so early. Once I arrived they put me in my surgery gear, and started prepping. My biggest fear about surgery is always the I.V., Friday must have been my lucky day b/c they got it in on the first try. My official surgery time was from 1005 - 325. Once I woke up, I was send upstairs to my room farily quickly. Since I am allergic to morphine, I was started on a Demerol drip. I tried to use the pump as little as possible, thinking if I used it up it would all be gone. I found out two minutes prior to my IV being taken out that I could have had about 3 tubes of the stuff. Once I was able to wake up a bit more...I begged and pleaded to have my catheder taken out. Those things are really uncomfortable! Once that was removed, I had 4-6 hours to urinate....or it was back to the catheder for me. Thank God I was able to pee 15 minutes before I passed the deadline.
My over night stay was pretty uneventful. I threw up about four times...it was pure blood. Apparently a lot of blood hits the stomach during the procedure. Once I got that out of my system I was able to keep the pain under control.

While in the hospital I was on pain killers and a steroid to help with the swelling. Overall surgery day was fairly easy for me.

No comments: