Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Recovery

Well I didn't post much on how my recovery went, so for the benefit of future SARPE patients....here is what it has been like for me!

I had my surger last Wednesday, which included the SARPE and removal of all four wisdom teeth. Immediatly after surgery my face was enormous. I wasn't really expecting that, I guess I thought it would take time to develop swelling and brusises. But it definetely didn't! The pain wasn't that bad...of course when you are on I.V. pain killers it never is. I stayed over night in the hospital ( this is only b/c I am military and I have the option..free of charge) I checked out around 9am the next morning. I felt pretty good leaving the hospital, and then way over did it thinking I was more recovered than I actually was. Word of advise--- The day after surgery you should SLEEP the whole day. By around 7pm I was in tears and sat in a distant stare unalbe to even express how I felt. Thank God my sister was there to pump me up with Loritab! Soon there after I went to bed.

Day three of surgery was very uneventful. I figured out the key to sucess while recovering from major surgery...sleep! So I did that for almost the entire day. My swelling went down remarkably by day three. I think that was a result of rest, ice, and constant elevation @ 45 degrees. One thing that started on day three was nose bleeds. I had someone come to my house and buy my car...the activity of walking outside and trying to talk caused a nose bleed. The funny part.... the sixteen year old girl buying my car saw my swollen and bruised face, and told her mom that her appointment next month to have her wisdom teeth was to be canceled. I assured her that my disfigurement was from SARPE rather than wisdom teeth. The look on her face while looking at me was unforgetable! At least I can laugh about that part. :)

Day four...again I slept most of the day. Swelling continued to go down.

Day five--- I bougth a new car!! And got a nose bleed while talking to the salesman. They say when a girl isn't feeling well she should shop right! :) Here is a pic of my new car...and my swollen face.


Day Six--- Sunday (day of rest) once agian I took it easy. I was very anxious on Sunday b/c I was going to start expanding on Monday. I completely winged myself off of the pain killers at this point. (24 hours w/out) I was beginning to feel more like myself, but not quite back to par. At this point I began lowering me elevation when I slept...much more comfortable.

Day Seven-- First Day of Expansion!! Monday I woke up and drank a protein shake, brusehd my teeth, and my sister and I sat down to try to figure out how to crank my jaw apart. It took a good 10 minutes to figure it out. I was so nervous that I become very light headed, I would advise lying down for the first one. It DOES NOT HURT, but regardless until you know for yourself it's easier to take laying down.

From this point on I will post pictures of my expansion. Like the saying a picture says a thousand words (and I know that is what everyone wants to see anyway).

To sum up the week so far... I am feeling much better. I don't have to take naps and am able to walk around and be more productive. My days are going by faster now...so I know that means I am healing well. My doctor has me expanding 4x a day (1/4 mm per turn) I will only turn for five days. Enjoy the pics!

1 comment:

USAFWX said...

did you have any breathing problems before you had this done?