Monday, July 31, 2006

12 Days Post-Op~* Im Done *~

It is official I am done expanding!! Even though I have had the worst day (non-braces related) since surgery...I am still ecstatic to say that I am done with expansion. I saw the OD today, he took out the awful wire that was split in two on my uppers (talking about poking me!), and he replaced my upper and lower wire. So hopefully I will be saying good-bye to the large gap soon!
I just walked in the door...and realized I was starving. I attempted to eat a nutri-grain bar. I have been able to eat such things(not necessarily eat but mush with my gums and parts of teeth that slightly touch) but it hurt to smash food this time. I think I am getting more feeling in my upper jaw. That was the first time that my teeth and well jaw bone were sore like that. So that is probably good in a way....but bad meaning more liquid ick!! Back to the Magic Bullet for dinner I guess.
Well I have only one photo for today...this is my thank God I am done expanding pic. Also notice that my swelling continues to decrease daily. Hope eveyone is doing well in Ortho land...you to Mom. Hopefuly I will be adding photos of a closing gap soon. :)

2 comments:

Graham said...

Yay!! Congrats, you're all done! Take a good look at that gap because it's gonna be history before you know it! Your teeth will start to move back immediately, and you will likely feel it happening. Not painful, just kinda weird, maybe numb or a cold feeling. I think the average time to close is 5-7 weeks. If you compare photos a week from today you'll probably see a small shift.

So how many turns did you end up doing in total? I had 33 which gave me 8.25mm.

Your cheeks and lip will feel numb for several more weeks. That part takes a long time but rest assured that it *will* go away.

Sounds like you're having an easier time of it than I had. I couldn't chew much of anything at all for quite a while, not even nutrigrain bars. I had a lot of milkshakes, Ensure, and blended up brown beans (with some sugar added so it wouldn't make me gag). Oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and pankcakes work well too. You might have to audit how much energy you're spending since it may be harder to get the same amount of calories that you're used to. Anyway I'm sure you'll find a routine that works for you over the next few weeks.

Oh man, you got your wire changed! I hope that didn't hurt too much. My teeth were sooo sensitive that there's no way I could have endured a wire change. Good for you!

I will be posting more pics, though not as often now. Now that my gap is basically closed, the movement from the braces seems to be way slower. I took some today to compare. There is a tiny change, but I'll give it another week before I post another comparison.

Go gap, go! :)

Tara said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I really wanted to let you know how useful your blog is to me. I am going to be having LeForte I in a few months, and it's great to hear how other people are handeling it.

I just started a blog of my own. I put a link to yours on there. If you would prefer that I remove it, just let me know. It's just so useful for me that I want others to see it too!

Good luck recovering, and keep up updated!